MDLaw
MDLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in consumer litigation and FDCPA matters
16277701

I received a couple of letters from "California Legal Advocates"

I received a couple of letters from "California Legal Advocates" offering to reduce my credit cards debts as much as 60%. They say they are not a collection agency and that they "do not charge a fee for their services". Can you tell me more about this services? Is there anything that I should know that's not mentioned in the letter?
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only.

Was this unsolicited mail?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, this was unsolicited mail.

This is almost certainly a scam. They do not even have a website. Most of these scam "credit card repair" companies choose a name that sounds legitimate by including legal or government or federal, etc. in their names. What they will do is actually ruin your credit by asking you to pay them your monthly bills rather than the credit card companies. They claim that they will settle for less with the companies and pay them using the money you pay to the scammers. What will happen is that your credit gets ruined because your bills don't get paid and the company ends up keeping your hard earned money themselves.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you and if you still need clarification, please read on below.

*********************
Kindly take into account that I do not make the laws and so please do not shoot the messenger if you are unhappy with the law not being on your side since I do not have the power to make the laws or change them. What I can do though is help you to understand the laws.

Please let me know if this has answered your question. If you need clarification, please do not select a rating yet. Instead, click the Reply or Continue Conversation button. If, however, I have fully answered your question, please remember to rate me a 3 or higher so that I may be compensated for the time it takes to respond to your questions. That is the only way that we experts get paid since we do not get paid by the site. Keep in mind that you are rating my service and not the website and that the site prohibits us from giving legal advice or opinions on your specific circumstances. We can only provide general legal information.