Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  35 plus years consumer law practice

i believe the same company just called me and left a message

i believe the same company just called me and left a message on my work number. they did not say which card they were calling about just that it was a mastercard and they wanted to speak with me.
i never signed anything to put me on this account. about 15 years ago my husband gave them permission to speak with me about the account when there was a charge he didn't understand and they said they would put that down on his card.
after he was unable to pay, they called a few times and said i was on the account but when my husband sent letters to citibank asking to see the proof with my signature showing i agreed to be on the account they never responded. he sent about three letters requesting that proof.
they didn't respond because it doesnt exist and that's why citibank never came after me personally.
i don't know if i should call this person back and threaten him with court action since it is illegal to leave a message in new york state or just ignore the call. the voicemails in my office come through on my email so it's easy for me to take the transcript to court.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

You should return the call and ask that they provide specifics about the account. That is, have them send you documentation that provides the name of the creditor, the account number, any payment history, etc. Also ask them what is their legal opinion that links you to be financially responsible for the account.

Do note, that it is not illegal in NY for a creditor to contact you by phone so long as they attempt contact with you directly. That is, they cannot provide any information as to why they are calling to any third party. And they can also leave a message on your home number.
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience: 35 plus years consumer law practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they left a message on my office number that could be picked up by anyone in the office. they left the information as to why they were calling and my secretary or anyone could have listened to the message.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i believe in new york state i would have to have signed the application to be legally responsible for the debt. i never did that which is why citi never responded to my husband's request for a copy of the application with my signature. citi never put me on any corresondence regarding the debt with my husband. the only thing citi did was put the debt on my credit report and i believe they removed it after the third letter to them.

Expert:  Dylatess replied 1 year ago.
Again contact Citi as you are not exposing yourself by making contact. Regardless, you are not liable on the debt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks. i'll call the collection company and see what they say and have my husband contact citi again if i get nowhere.

i can't contact citi myself because they are actually my client so it's a bit of a messy situation for me. i may just get someone on the phone who either knows me or knows my name.