Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
29685164

my boyfriend payed a merchant with my credit card. my bank

my boyfriend payed a merchant with my credit card. my bank thought it was fradulent and put the money on hold. I signed a notarized letter stating that it wasn't fraud. The money didn't get put in my account yet but the merchant is saying they are pressing charges on me because i signed the notarized letter and don't have the money to give them. Can I get charged being that I'm not on the account and didn't promise the money back.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

I have a question. You said that he paid with your credit card therefore this was your account. And then you said that you were not on the account? Please clarify. thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The merchant was Rent A Center and I am not on his Rent A Center account and he is not on my bank account.

Ok. Thanks. You have signed under penalty of perjury that he was authorized to issue the payment. Likewise, even though the bank is being cautious, you have acted in good faith and your actions are not criminial as a crime requires intent to in this case deceive. However, though it is not a crime, the merchant deserves to be paid and arrangements should be made with the creditor as soon as possible so as to not affect your credit report. But again, you cannot be charged as it was not a cirme.