Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice

(Texas) I defaulted on a title loan last year and the loan

(Texas) I defaulted on a title loan last year and the loan company states they do not want the car period. (a 1993 Volvo) I have called them numerous times including today and they tell me they have no interest in picking up the car several times I was told, junk it, sell it, burn it we don't care we just want the money not the car. My question is can I sell or junk the car before I move?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

thanks for your question. Note for title loans, the creditor has the option of pursuing either their collateral (the car) or the money that is owing. And since they have determined that the car does not have value, they are not obligated to take back the car. Regardless, you need to send a letter to them, certified, confirming that they said they do not want the car. Thereafter you can move. Likewise, from experience, I seriously doubt you will ever hear from them again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All I want to know is if I can go to jail or be in any legal trouble for selling or abandoning this car when I move out of the city. The car has been abandoned by the loan company at this point and they don't want it!

You gave me a negative rating which is unfair as, since you have a follow up question, I did not have the opportunity to respond.

In response, you will NOT go to jail as if you sell or junk the car it is not criminal and no crime will be committed if you abandon or sell or junk it.

I would appreciate if you would rate me ok or better as I do not get compensated for assisting you though the site keeps your full deposit. Likewise, you negative rating impacts my ability to help others. I wish you well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you sir, guess I should have been more clear in my initial question. You told me what I need to know, I don't need to worry about leaving it then. Thanks alot. Wish you well too have a great day!