HCLegal, Lawyer
Experience:  I have won over 1500 Debt Lawsuits, saving my clients over $12,000,000.

i want to purchase 4 wheels from a private seller in GA (I

i want to purchase 4 wheels from a private seller in GA (I live in PA). How can this be done through the mail to protect each interest? I can't send $1000 in hope he'll ship the wheels and he can't ship them in hope I'll pay. What is the best solution to do this thru mail? someone suggested paypal but not sure how / if that would work.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.

HCLegal :

Hello and thank you for your question.... This is a very common concern when you are buying or selling something online.

HCLegal :

How do I know they will ship the merchandise once I pay??

HCLegal :

Paypal is a good option as it allows you to dispute the payment if the seller does not ship the merchandise or if the merchandise was not as described.

HCLegal :

paypal is similar to using a credit card as it allows you to dispute transactions.

HCLegal :

You could also use a 3rd party facilitator or intermediary or someone that will hold your money until you have received the merchandise and inspected it. Once you have approved it, the 3rd party releases the funds to the seller.

HCLegal :

There are some companies that will provide services like that but I do not know who they are or how much they charge.

HCLegal :

In most cases if you think there is something fishy there probably is and I would not send the money.

HCLegal :

Also having the person send you a picture with a piece of paper with your name written on it will prove that he is actually in possession of the wheels.

HCLegal :

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

HCLegal :

hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please do not forget to RATE MY ANSWER, this is the only way that I will get credit for assisting you– I receive no credit for helping you unless you actually RATE MY ANSWER with 3 stars or smiley faces or more, even if you already have a subscription. There is no fee for follow up questions before or after rating my answer, if we continue the conversation.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help you, a bonus or an “add on” (available after you rate my answer) is truly appreciated.

If you would like to ask me a question in the future you can put “For HCLegal” at the beginning of your question and I will be alerted and will answer your question the next time I am online.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
who pays of rthe use of paypal and how do I make sure paypal is aware of the sale agreement in case I need to dsipute it later?
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.
The person that is receiving the money pays the fee to PayPal.

If you run into trouble you can dispute the transaction with PayPal and they will work to resolve the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I make sure the item (and agreement) is tied to the paypal send money transaction? I see where to send money (we both have paypal accnts) but I don't want to jsut send money without tieing it the item I'm purchasing. How do I do that?
Expert:  HCLegal replied 4 years ago.
When you go into Paypal and at the top you select "send money"

You will then enter the sellers email address and the amount you want to send him. Then there are 2 tabs, one says purchase and the other personal.

Click the purchase, and then "goods" press continue.

Then in the subject line and the message part you can put the details of your transaction.

If they do not ship your items then you can go into the resolution center and start a dispute.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.