Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice

how do i negotiate with a collection agency that I know for

how do i negotiate with a collection agency that I know for a fact does not have attorneys. They will account back to the creditor at worst, though the creditor, a health care practictioner, will, in my opinion, likely sue. It is for a thousand one hundred dollars.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Please first note that it is against the rules and practices of the Federal Trade Commisssion for a collection agency to have attorneys on their payroll. Howver, for sure they will engage outside attorneys to sue for them.

Regardless, if the account has been assigned to collection, the agency has already agreed with the creditor as to their commission if they are successful in collecting. And even if it is only $1000, the typical commisson is one third to the agency. Likewise, the agency does not want to further split their potential commission with an attorney. So they are anxious to settle. And I would offer 40 cents on the dollar knowing that you will probably end up at between 50 and 65 cents. And if you can offer a lump sum payment, your chance of success is greatly improved.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I already agreed to 25/month, but i need to call back for a written contract and the details. It is 1180. the problem is, i want to do a lump sum, but what argument can I use, provided that I have already said I could do $25/month. I have other debt of course.

The fact that you already agreed to a monthly payment is not relevant if you are now offering a lump sum. Likewise, the agency prefers a lump sum as it gets the account resolved faster. So you do not need an argument other than to say that someone is loaning me the money and I prefer to pay if off will you take $700 or whatever you want to start with. Again, the agency will be most receptive.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i know for a fact that this agency does not partner with outside attorneys, since they accidentally sent a letter back to the dentist, with a cc to me, saying they are giving the account back to them since I could not pay. they asked the dentist that they could follow up with their attorney for legal action and to let them know if that is the case. does this change anything?

typically, how low can i go with a chance of winning. i really can' t afford more than 500 at this time, with the help of family loans.

Start at $300 and see where it goes. But you will probably end up paying 50 cents on the dollar.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what if he says 25/month is better for him?

It is ping pong game. And since you have not agreed in writing, you are not bound by the $25/month. So keep negotating.