Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

How much can a repair shop charge for storage if there was

How much can a repair shop charge for storage if there was no signed repair orded
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Have you already done any work on the vehicle, or have you merely been storing it while you wait to do the work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already pulled out the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One month after the truck was dropped off in my shop we pulled the engine out of it and contacted the customer so he could bring me an engine to install. Six mos. later still no engine. Two weeks ago he send someone over to remove some parts from the old engine but i refused until he contacted me. I told him I had thought about filing a mechanics lien but if he would bring me an engine I would finish the job. He asked me to give him a week get an engine. I agreed but it has been two weeks and still no engine. He called me today to tell he has been to busy to go get the engine and asked if i was charging storage fee i said yes and he said he was taking me to court because i did not tell him i would charge fees for storing , I already pulled out the engine.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
If you did not have a written contract for a storage fee, then you cannot charge him storage without giving him notice in writing. However, since you have done work at this point, you have a mechanic's lien and do not have to release the vehicle. If you want to begin charging him storage you need to send him notice that you will be charging him storage. The amount you can charge for storage is up to you, with the only restriction being that it must be reasonable based on the storage charges of others in your area.

I hope you found my answer helpful, but please understand that if you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer was great I just wanted to ask one more thing, I can't file for storage fees even if the behicle was considered abondad. I thought I had 60 days I could charge. For 5 months I thought the vehicle was abonded since I never heard from him i tried calling 3 or 4 times.
You have to give him notice and based on what you said it really has not been abandoned, since there has been no expressed intent to abandon. Once you have given him notice you can add in the charges.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.