AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

my boyfriends car has full coverage a d I was in his car when

my boyfriends car has full coverage a d I was in his car when it slipped out of gear and the steering was locked since I don't have a license I. Coli am I on trouble even though the was not in the ignigtion?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer. I am Thoreau and I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you asked your question.
What caused the vehicle to slip out of gear?
Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure I was turned around grabing stuff my purse I think

Thank you for your message. I'm sorry to hear about your boyfriend's car and I'm sorry you had to be present for that. I am sending you this message only 5 minutes after your reply.
Simply being in a car when the car malfunctions does not result in liability for the passenger. If a vehicle fails and starts moving on its own, the presence of a passenger does not create liability for her. In fact, an investigation of the car itself may show what caused the vehicle to start moving. That said, after your boyfriend contacts the insurer, if the insurance company wants to question you, you may want to have your attorney assist you with your discussion to ensure that you don't make any statements that might imply you did something to cause the accident, as anything you say could be used against you if the insurer was to try to allege that you caused the damage. However, simply being present for an accident, when an individual doesn't contribute to it at all, does not result in liability. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with the situation and I wish you all the best.