Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I sent in a question 2 days ago and never goat an answer. What

I sent in a question 2 days ago and never goat an answer. What do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question and thank you for requesting me.

I'm not sure what happened there. Your account reflects only two questions: this one and one from 5/31. It could be that there was a bug in the submission process.

What did you want to know?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I need to start all over with all of it?
I'm afraid so, unless you have another JustAnswer account. Your question isn't in the system under this account. Only this question and the question submitted on 5/31 is reflected on your account.
If you tried submitting it through email, it would not have been posted, as all questions must be posted directly on the site. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but unless you reply here again with your question, there's no way for me to know what you wanted to know.

What would you like to know?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a water leak over a year ago and it caused some of my hardwood floor to buckle. I got a company that I have used before to replace the buckled part and refinish the rest. Since he was there making repairs, I also got him to install flooring in and additional bedroom. After about 3 months we notice that just the new wood was cupping, not only the wood that had been replaced, but also the new in the bedroom. I ask them to come look at the cupping and he did. After looking, he said that he thought that I had a water leak and that was causing the problem. He said that he had a person that could check it out and it wouldn't cost anything. I agreed and not only did I have that person check it, I hired someone my self to check it. Both people said that the moisture content in the sub-floor was a little elevated, but not in the hardwood flooring. They both said that they thought tha I didn't have a leak. The odd thing about it is that the boards that are cupped are the new ones. None of the existing and none of the boards that he had taken up and put back down. So what do I do? Do I stay on him? Do I contact a lawyer and have him send a letter? Or do I just get it fixed and bring suite?
Thank you for your reply. Again, I'm sorry about the inconvenience and the bug we experienced with your prior submission. That's very frustrating.
At this stage, you'll want to retain an attorney. Optimally, you would know what was causing the cupping so that your course of action would be clearer, and you may need to hire an expert to evaluate whether the wood itself was defective, the installation was defective, or conditions in the home were causing the problem. If the wood or installation was defective, the installer may be liable for the value of the damages. In fact, even if a condition in the house caused the problem, if a reasonable installer should have detected it, the installer may be liable for the value of the damages resulting from installation (though you'd still be responsible for repairing whatever condition was causing the problem). If it comes down to litigation, your attorney can assist you with the process of obtaining that evaluation, and he may wish to do that prior to sending a demand letter unless there's a good reason to believe that the problem was the installer's creation. In any case, your attorney will demand compensation from the at-fault party and, if necessary, he can help you file suit.
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just learned that the flooring business is about to be sold. Will the person that did my floor be liable or will the new owner or will either be liable?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is anyone looking at my question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello, is anbody there?
Thank you for your message. Please understand that, while JustAnswer is able to operate 24 hours a day, I cannot personally be online that much. Your message came 31 hours after your prior message at 1:22 AM EST. Due to the time of the response, I was offline asleep. However, I have just now logged on to JustAnswer for the first time today and your question is the first thing I'm addressing. Regarding your question:
Liability generally follows a business after sale. If a business is purchased or acquired, the business remains liable for its prior wrongs, regardless of who owns it. Therefore, an aggrieved consumer may sue the acquiring party once a business is sold. If the contract is breached prior to the sale, depending on the structure of the business and whether or not the original owner was a sole proprietor, the original owner could remain liable as well as the business and/or its new owner. A sale can complicate things a bit and your attorney will evaluate the details of the matter and the business structure when helping you to decide which defendant(s) to name.
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I know it was late at night when I sent my last question, but it was suppose to be redirected to someone else, if you weren't available. I apologize for the continued questioning. Thanks for the information.

My pleasure. Thank you for clarifying.
In the future, if you want to request me, please feel free. I'm always happy to answer your questions. However, if I'm offline, a response may take a little while. That said, I am more than happy to personally answer any of your questions and I always do my best to get to replies within 24 hours or less (even if I'm not working on JustAnswer that day). Any time you want to request me, you can do so by starting a new question with "For Thoreau" or by asking it at my profile, here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-thoreau/
Thank you very much.
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney