AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
18048122

Saw a car for sale ($9500), called the seller the next day

Saw a car for sale ($9500), called the seller the next day to offer to buy. He agreed and he was going to arrange a meeting with his bank (car financed) & I had to get cash from selling some stocks. Two days later he texts me to say he sold it to someone else for more money. Can I sue for breach of verbal contract?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
If you can show that you agreed to purchase it for that amount and that he agreed to sell it to you, that could constitute a contract, even if no money was exchanged. You could have a basis to sue but you'd have to show damages and that would be the amount you may be able to collect. The damages could be the difference in the cost of that car and a suitable replacement. Realistically, it may or may not be worth it to you. Further, it could be difficult to prove the existence of the agreement.