Thoreau (T-USA)
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

KIRBY! TWO SALES MEN, FIRST I THOUGHT THEY WANTED TO SHOW ME

KIRBY! TWO SALES MEN, FIRST I THOUGHT THEY WANTED TO SHOW ME A CHEMICAL FOR CARPETS AND THEN THEY BROUGHT IN A VACUUM. A 3400 DOLLAR VACUUM. TOLD THEM I WOULD NEVER PAY OVER 500 DOLLARS FOR A VACUUM. SO THEY STILL DID THE PRESENTATION ANYWAY. WHEN I STOOD MY GROUND ABOUT THE 500, ONE SALES MEN TOLD THE OTHER (IF HIS DAUGHTERS HEALTH IS ONLY WORTH 500 BUCKS TO HIM THEN THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO). THEN HE TELLS ME I TOLD HIM 500 BUCKS, BECAUSE I KNEW THEY COULD GET THE PRICE DOWN THAT FAR. NEEDLES TO SAY I WAS PISSED AND THE SITUATION BECAME UNCOMFORTABLE FOR BOTH PARTIES. THE MOUTHY ONE LEFT AND ANOTHER ONE CAME IN AND HELPED THE OTHER PICK UP THEIR CRAP.THESE TWO MEN CAME IN TO MY HOUSE DISRESPECTED ME IN MY LIVING ROOM IN FRONT OF MY FAMILY AND MADE MY DAUGHTERS THINK THEIR HEALTH IS ONLY WORTH 500 DOLLARS TO ME. WHAT CAN i DO ABOUT THIS.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Thoreau (T-USA) replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
If the individual was actually threatening your daughter's health, that could constitute a crime and you may wish to report it to law enforcement. However, if he was just alleging that you were using an inferior product and that spending more on his would better protect your family's health, that's wouldn't be criminal. In that case, what you described wouldn't generally be a criminal matter and it wouldn't usually rise to the level of civil liability. It's not illegal to be rude or to be a pushy salesman - it's just bad business. You may wish to contact the Better Business Bureau and other consumer protection organizations to file a complaint. You could also contact the company to file a complaint about the salesmen. However, simply being a rude little punk, to describe that kind of behavior nicely and conservatively, isn't typically enough to expose an individual or a company to liability.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My main interest was if I had a case in civil court for toy with my daughters head in the matter of making them think their father is not worried about their health.
Honestly, that would be a real stretch. You could talk to your attorney about the possibility of a lawsuit for intentional infliction of emotional distress, but the burden is very high for such a suit. What the man said was wrong and inappropriate, and he should lose his job for it. However, that's not something that will usually provide a basis for civil recovery. That's about equal to name calling or any rude or inappropriate remark and the law generally isn't that sensitive. My job here is to provide accurate information about the law. Providing bad news is the hardest part of doing my job but it's a big part of doing the job well. If you feel that the law is wrong on this issue, I'd strongly encourage you to contact your legislators, as they are the only ones who can change it.
Thoreau (T-USA), Attorney
Experience: Attorney