AttorneyTom, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I was sent to a collection agency and for the last 10 month

I was sent to a collection agency and for the last 10 month have sent them 10.00 each month because I lost my job now they call me up and say I have to pay 25.00 a month and I tried to explain to them I can only afford 10.00 what can I do
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. I am sending this answer to you only a few minutes after you submitted your question.
I'm sorry to hear about the situation. If a debtor fails to pay the amount under the contract, the creditor doesn't have to agree to a lesser amount. Unless there's a contract between you and the creditor specifying a certain reduced amount, the creditor can demand up to the full amount due under the contract. The fact that a creditor has accepted reduced payments in the past does not force the creditor to accept them indefinitely.