J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience with contract, debtor/creditor, and consumer law.
15393114

if you lose a judgement in court (someone sues you) does that

if you lose a judgement in court (someone sues you) does that automatically get reported to the credit bureaus? Regardless whether you pay the debt or not does it get reported?

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

Yes. While it may take a while, eventually the judgment will automatically get picked up by the credit bureaus. If the judgment is paid off, then a "satisfaction of judgment" will be automatically picked up as well.

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.

Customer:

my question was does it automatically get reported to the credit bureaus? (like within a few days)

J.Hazelbaker :

It may take more than a few days. More like a couple weeks.

J.Hazelbaker :

Once the period for appeal has ended, it will be reported.

Customer:

whether it's been satified (paid) or not?

Customer:

does that also stay in public record that you were once sued?

J.Hazelbaker :

Correct. Whether satisfied or not, the judgment will be reported. If satisfied, that fact will be reported. Having said that, most judgment lose their negative affect on credit histories after 2-3 years.

J.Hazelbaker :

The judgment will remain a public record indefinitely.

Customer:

ok that's what I need to know....thank you!

J.Hazelbaker :

If someone knows how to search court records and knows what court the judgment was entered in, they will be able to locate the judgment in the future.

J.Hazelbaker :

You are welcome.

J.Hazelbaker :

Customer:

wonderful. thank you!