J.Hazelbaker
J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive experience with contract, debtor/creditor, and consumer law.
15393114

I won a case in small claims court, it stated that the def

I won a case in small claims court, it stated that the def was suppose to return my items to me immediately with or with out patment from me. it states that the sheriff of this county is authorized and directed to effect repossession of my property according to mn stat 491A.01 sub.5 and then return the property over to me. there was a 20 day period for anybody to file an appeal, that 20 days was up on thur. of this week, I have not seen my items yet nor heard anything, what do I do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 4 years ago.

J.Hazelbaker :

Hello. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

J.Hazelbaker :

There is a specific process you need to follow in order to get the sheriff to seize the property.

J.Hazelbaker :

The first step is sending a 10 day notice to the defendant demanding s/he return the property as ordered by the court.

J.Hazelbaker :

You also need to have your judgment filed with the district court. You can take your judgment to the court administrator and they can help you accomplish this.

J.Hazelbaker :

You need to send your notice via Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested.

J.Hazelbaker :

Once the 10 day period expires, you can request the sheriff seize the property listed in the judgment. They will require proof that you send the 10 day notice.

J.Hazelbaker :

For details, see page 9 of the publication at the following web address:

J.Hazelbaker :

http://www.ag.state.mn.us/brochures/pubconciliationcourt.pdf

J.Hazelbaker :

Please let me know what follow-up questions you have. If my above responses have been helpful, please click Accept so that I get credit for the time/effort. You may always restart the thread and ask follow-up questions at any time by clicking the “Reply” button at the bottom of the question/answer thread. You can access this thread later in your profile under the “My Questions” tab.