How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask D. WINOGO ESQ. Your Own Question
D. WINOGO ESQ., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4714
Experience:  10+ yrs experience as arbitrator, litigator, and hearing officer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
D. WINOGO ESQ. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how many years does a creditor have to take me to court or

This answer was rated:

how many years does a creditor have to take me to court or sue me in a civil case for a balance on a loan in texas
The statute of limitations for open accounts and/or written contracts is 4 years. So the creditor has 4 years from the last date that you breached the contract by failing to pay off the loan.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

so if i turned in my car to the bank in 1999 and they sold my balance to a debt collection agency in 2001 and since 2 other debt collectors have bought my loan, 11 years later i couldnt be sued for that balance?

That is correct. The only exception is if the bank or the other creditors previously sued you for the deficiency judgment. If they obtained a judgment against you, then they can enforce the judgment for 10 years.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no one has ever sued me or anything except a couple of phone calls in the last 10 years asking if i want to settle with the collector till yesterday i got a call from the debt collectors telling me they are about to serve me today and take me to court and sue me. should i hire a lawyer in town or not worry and take it as a scare tactic?
Don't do anything until and unless you receive a summons and complaint from the creditor. It is probably a scare tactic, but if they do serve you, you can make a motion to dismiss based on the expiration of the statute of limitations.
D. WINOGO ESQ. and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much
My pleasure.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions