Dylatess
Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice
29685164

What are the steps to sue my CPA for malpractice...I was audited

What are the steps to sue my CPA for malpractice...I was audited by the IRS for 2 years back. We supplied her with information she asked for, we put our trust in her and she did not represent us in the audit. We found out through the audit that she made many errors and was advised that she was incompetent in her work and the laws...It has become a financial nightmare..What to do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dylatess replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you. before you can sue her, you nned to go to another CPA and get an opinion as to whether it was malpractice. And assuming he agrees, then you need to retain an attorney that handles professional malpractice. so it will cost you money to get an opinion but that way you know you are on firm ground likewise if you were to sue, and lost, she could turn around and sue you for malicious prosecution. i wish you the best.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But can't I send a letter of threat of litigation to her to get her to pay my interest and penalties and her fees that she charged me the two years she prepared my taxes...We are talking about 18,000.00 that we are having to pay IRS in Taxes, penalties & interest. This just does not seam fair..We trusted her with our taxes, we did not supply her with any false information, it was how she filed the information.
Expert:  Dylatess replied 5 years ago.
of course you can send a letter. but your question was what are the steps to sue. so i presumed you are way past the letter phase. but so send a letter giving her no more than 15 days to responsd or "you will pursue all of your legal remedies." and sent it certified.