JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years hanlding consumer protection matters.

Ive been summoned to court because of unpaid medical bills.

Ive been summoned to court because of unpaid medical bills. Last Aug. I was out of work for 4weeks and went to 9 differnet medical centers, doctors, hospitals and specialists during those 4 weeks til finally I had surgery and was hospitalized. Concerend for my job, i asumed that my insurance would cover the majority of the bills. But the insurance compay apartently didnt pay. I then was let go from my job at the begining of this year 2011 and I have been trying to find work since. I have no way of paying because I was let go est of 14 weeks after returning to work. Now being summoned to court I have an est of 8,000$ - min. to pay but I have no way of paying. What should I do... call the collection agency and try to make a deal or get a lawer and have them help me?? Help?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. If you have been summoned to go to court, simply go to court and then meet with their attorney at court. It's at that time that you'll be able to talk with them and try to work out a deal.

Right now, the game is in the courthouse. It's not with phone calls to the collection agency. Go to the courthouse on the court date and try to work out a deal with their attorney then.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my papers for my summons it states that I have to check one of four options... 1. Contest the jurisdiction of the court, 2. admit everything, 3. admit that I am responsible but not for the total amount, or 4. Deny that I am responsible. I dont know which one I should do and I have two summons that must be replied within 30days... Im running out of days and everyone I ask says to get a lawer since after I recieved the summons I recieved another letter from the same collection agency with over 20,000$ notice stating i owe more. but i dont want to pay the same bill twice.. i dont know what to do.
If you contest that amount that you owe, then you can mark that you #3 admit responsibility but deny the amount owed.

Then you should receive a court date from the court clerk.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: 13 years hanlding consumer protection matters.