Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

I have a membership with Anytime Fitness and am trying to cancel

I have a membership with Anytime Fitness and am trying to cancel it but their financial agency keeps telling me I am unable to cancel my membership unless I move more than 15 miles away from a club or have death or permeant disability (which has to be verified by a letter from a physician and medical records). I cannot financially afford to continue this membership and sent ABC Financial a letter stating such and wish to cancel my membership. They sent me an e-mail back stating they are unable to process my cancelation request at this time. I have e-mailed them now twice asking why I cannot cancel and the only answer I get is them stating my contract dates. Is there anything that I can do or am I stuck?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you can, get a copy of your contract. Typically, with ABC Financial, the contract automatically renews on the anniversary of the date you joined the club. You can ask them, in writing, not to renew your membership, as long as they have 30 days written notice. That may be a viable option, depending on when your membership is up. You should be able to just XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX and ask them to cancel your automatic renewal, along with your address and contract number.

Otherwise, they usually have an early cancellation fee (I believe it's $100 or $150), and you can only cancel during the contract period if you're willing to pay that fee. Unfortunately, the way the contracts are written, they are binding, and the cancellation policy is legally enforceable.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The contract states that it can only be canceled if I move 30 miles away from the club, am disabled, or am dead or the club goes out of business. I have told them I am willing to pay an early termination fee to cancel but they will not accept that. So there is no way out of this unless it falls in the options above?
That means that the only option left is to cancel the automatic renewal, unfortunately and wait for the term to expire (I'm actually doing the same thing right now). Health clubs have very good lawyers write these contracts, and they are enforceable.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Lawyer