Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Experience:  Work and studies in privacy, lending, credit, and general consumer issues
2911261

can you give me any website to find protection articles Like

can you give me any website to find protection articles? Like is there one for reporting any of this to the Depatment of Transportation, shouldn't they be interested?

isn't this comapany (the one that moved me) evading highway state weights and scales by using not descript moving trucks? who would be intested in that?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 3 years ago.

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, was your move interstate or intrastate?

Customer:

Hi Jane, it was from SC to Va

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, for interstate moves, which are federal government action as they move across state lines and, therefore, fall under the federal government's power to legislate under the Commerce Clause, are regulated by the U.S. Dept. of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. They provide consumer information about rights as well as the ability to file a complaint against a carrier here. The complaint information is available here and you can contact them via telephone or submit a complaint online.

Customer:

Jane, are there any violations numbers or sites you can quote, that I maigh take to small calims court, or DOT? Should I be going after the original contractor, or the one they sent?

Jane T (LLC) :

Hi, as your move was an interstate, not intrastate, move the violations would be federal, not state. If you contact the U.S. Dept. of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, at the website I provided, you would be able to obtain, directly from the horse's mouth, as it were, the exact violations as they will listen to the entire situaiton. Normally violations are not just one but involve multiple ones. You should discuss all contractors. It it possible that the one you first signed up for on the move is the interstate carrier and, in turn, hired a local (who, do to the involvement in interstate commerce would still fall under federal law) but may also be liable on state claims. For state claims you should be dealing with a state resource, The South Carolina Department of Consumer Affairs, here, can provide you with state specific regulations as well as educate you about your ability to file state claims or file claims with the court.

Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Experience: Work and studies in privacy, lending, credit, and general consumer issues