TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to Practice Law
9373668

Can I return a used car purchased from a dealer within 30 days

Can I return a used car purchased from a dealer within 30 days and 1,000 miles of having in possession?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

No, I'm sorry to say that you cannot return a used car (or even a new car). Once you paid the dealer and took possession of the car, the sale was final. I truly wish I had better news.

I regret that my answer is generally unfavorable, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than a truthful response. With that in mind, I hope that you found value in my answer. If your concerns were not satisfactorily addressed, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our discussion). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually I am financing the vehicle. I only provided a $2,000 down payment on June 28th when I took the vehicle. Can I cancel my car finance with PNC Bank, or better yet is there a way to switch my financing to another vehicle with a lower monthly payment?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

I'm sorry to say that the answer is still no (unless, of course, the dealer voluntarily agrees to switch vehicles).

The fact that you're financing the vehicle is unimportant. The sale was finalized since you took the car and PNC paid the dealer. In fact, even if you hadn't yet taken the vehicle, and hadn't yet paid the dealer, the sale would still be final if you signed a written sales contract.

You may want to talk to the dealer to see if it is willing to work with you, however. It may agree to buy back the vehicle and sell you another one. Or, you could sell the vehicle privately, use the proceeds to pay off your PNC loan, and then buy another car.

I hope that helps. Please remember to click "accept." Thank you.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Licensed to Practice Law