Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Is American family publishers a legitimate and credible sweepstakes company that pays out

Is American family publishers a legitimate and credible sweepstakes company that pays out winning prizes without charging a fee to winners in order to receive prize ? They are located in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: Is American family publishers a legitimate and credible sweepstakes company that pays out winning prizes without charging a fee to winners in order to receive prize ? They are located in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Response: Yes. American Family Publishers is a legitimate sweepstakes company. However, I have never heard of anyone paying a fee in order to collect a prize. Generally, any sweepstakes company that asks you to pay a fee in order to collect your prize should raise a red flag. You do not pay a fee in order to collect a legitimate prize.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do you suggest I do about the prize that they said that I have won? If the prize is legitimate I would like to receive it but how can I find out if the fee is warranted in order to receive the prize?

Response: If you have truly won a prize, you should not have to pay a fee to collect it. If you have won, they need to send you your prize without requiring a fee. If they refuse to pay you the prize, then you need to contact Nebraska Attorney General's Office and file a complaint against the company. I will not send them any fee to collect the prize if I were you.

Demand to get the prize won sent to you.

http://www.ago.ne.gov/consumer/howdoicp.htm

Finally, I just went to Nebraska Secretary of State's website and searched for current status of this company, but I could not find it

https://www.nebraska.gov/sos/corp/corpsearch.cgi?nav=search

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know if it possible that the state attorney general of Nebraska can get this company to pay me my prize if it is legitimate without having to pay a fee?, And do you know of any other cases like this where the state attorney was sucessful in forcing a company like this to give a prize to a ligitimate winner without having to pay a fee?

Do you know if it possible that the state attorney general of Nebraska can get this company to pay me my prize if it is legitimate without having to pay a fee?,

Response 1: No, I do not know if it is possible. However, if the company is breaking the law, the Attorney General's office will be the lead agency to deal with the company.

And do you know of any other cases like this where the state attorney was sucessful in forcing a company like this to give a prize to a ligitimate winner without having to pay a fee?

Response 2: I do not know of any case like this because I do not have any experience with someone being asked to pay a fee to collect a prize supposedly won in a sweepstakes.