How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Maverick Your Own Question

Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4466
Experience:  consumer protection, fraud - 13+ years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I changed to Central Payment for my cerdit card processing.

Resolved Question:

I changed to Central Payment for my cerdit card processing. in Oct.,2010.The rep told me my machine was illegal because it printed the customers complete credit card number. The rep told me I would get a free credit card machine(mine was old)and that the paper would be free also. They hit my account for extra fees. I asked what the charges were for and they said shipping on the machine. The rep had said nothing about those fees. I called for the free paper, they hit my account again. In Dec. we swiped a card for customer, charged her $300.00 instead of $30.00. We called the service # XXXXX the machine and they helped us credit the customer's card $270.00.
The 9th of Jan. when I got my bank statement it showed where Central Payment had refunded my customer the $270.00 plus each time I swiped a customer's card they had debitted my account until they took out another $270.00. my customer called me & asked if I was short in by bank account. I said yes. She said she was $270.00 over. they had refunded her twice. Good thing I had an honest customer. After that I cancelled my service to Central Payment. I went back to my old processor. I found out that they could reprogram my "old machine" to not print the whole credit card number.
My problem now is that Central Payment says I owe them $550.00 for canceling my contract with them. I say they breached the contract when they messed up my account. They turned me over to a collections agency and they say I owe $1100.00.
Can you help me with this?
I have heard or read that all credit card processors can charge for cancelation fees in Arkansas is $50.00. Do you know if this is true?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Arkansas Act 911 applies only to nonbank providers of merchant services. The new law caps at $50, or one month's minimum charge, as the fees that can be assessed an Arkansas merchant for early termination of a contract with a nonbank processing company.


If they failed to disclose hidden fees, you may be able to sue them in small claims court for fraud in the inducement. In other words, they told you what you wanted to hear to get you to sign the contract. However, if the fees are disclosed in the contract, but they are unreasonable in amount, then you can sue them for a declaratory judgment so that the court can reduce them to a lower amount that is reasonable with industry standards.


You need to dispute the bill in writing with the debt collectors and tell them that they owe you at least $270 in damages and the shipping fees that were not disclosed. Also, ask the for an accounting as to how and where they came up with the $1100.


If they are a non bank processing company, then inform them of Act 911.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Maverick, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 4466
Experience: consumer protection, fraud - 13+ years of experience
Maverick and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions