Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  consumer protection, fraud - 13+ years of experience

I changed to Central Payment for my cerdit card processing.

I changed to Central Payment for my cerdit card processing. in Oct.,2010.The rep told me my machine was illegal because it printed the customers complete credit card number. The rep told me I would get a free credit card machine(mine was old)and that the paper would be free also. They hit my account for extra fees. I asked what the charges were for and they said shipping on the machine. The rep had said nothing about those fees. I called for the free paper, they hit my account again. In Dec. we swiped a card for customer, charged her $300.00 instead of $30.00. We called the service # XXXXX the machine and they helped us credit the customer's card $270.00.
The 9th of Jan. when I got my bank statement it showed where Central Payment had refunded my customer the $270.00 plus each time I swiped a customer's card they had debitted my account until they took out another $270.00. my customer called me & asked if I was short in by bank account. I said yes. She said she was $270.00 over. they had refunded her twice. Good thing I had an honest customer. After that I cancelled my service to Central Payment. I went back to my old processor. I found out that they could reprogram my "old machine" to not print the whole credit card number.
My problem now is that Central Payment says I owe them $550.00 for canceling my contract with them. I say they breached the contract when they messed up my account. They turned me over to a collections agency and they say I owe $1100.00.
Can you help me with this?
I have heard or read that all credit card processors can charge for cancelation fees in Arkansas is $50.00. Do you know if this is true?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Arkansas Act 911 applies only to nonbank providers of merchant services. The new law caps at $50, or one month's minimum charge, as the fees that can be assessed an Arkansas merchant for early termination of a contract with a nonbank processing company.

If they failed to disclose hidden fees, you may be able to sue them in small claims court for fraud in the inducement. In other words, they told you what you wanted to hear to get you to sign the contract. However, if the fees are disclosed in the contract, but they are unreasonable in amount, then you can sue them for a declaratory judgment so that the court can reduce them to a lower amount that is reasonable with industry standards.

You need to dispute the bill in writing with the debt collectors and tell them that they owe you at least $270 in damages and the shipping fees that were not disclosed. Also, ask the for an accounting as to how and where they came up with the $1100.

If they are a non bank processing company, then inform them of Act 911.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Maverick, Lawyer
Experience: consumer protection, fraud - 13+ years of experience