Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

Can an attorney sign a settlement agreement on behalf of their

Can an attorney sign a settlement agreement on behalf of their client and it be considered binding ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
An attorney can bind his client by his signature. There are a number of reasons an attorney would prefer to sign as opposed to the actual client, the biggest being it is a hassle to get the paperwork signed and back if the client is a corporation. This can often add a week or more to the process. To be safe, ask him to provide you with something that states he has the authority to sign on behalf of his client an agreement that is binding.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.