Juliana
Juliana, Lawyer
Experience:  23 years of experience, magistrate in small claims court for 12 years, currently in private practice
17008935

is it legal to ship tobacco products by priority mail

<p>is it legal to ship tobacco products by priority mail from virginia to new jersey</p><p> </p>
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Juliana replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Here is the text of a bulletin from the U.S. Postal Service, dated June 17, 2010, regarding the new mailing rules for tobacco products:

To comply with legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by the President, cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products will be subject to new mailing regulations effective June 29, 2010. The law, Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking Act, Public Law No. 111-154, was signed into law March 31.

With only a few limited exceptions, the Postal Service will no longer be allowed to accept or transport packages containing cigarettes or smokeless tobacco products. The general mailability ban will extend to cigarettes, roll-your-own tobacco and smokeless tobacco. The prohibition does not include cigars.

Shipments entirely within Alaska and Hawaii will continue, subject to certain labeling and acceptance requirements.

The law does permit infrequent lightweight shipments by age-verified adults to recipients who are at least the age of majority for purchase of tobacco. Shipments between businesses in the tobacco industry will also be permitted, as well as cigarettes sent to consumers age 21 and above for testing or public health purposes.

Most shipments will require photo identification and age verification consistent with the minimum age requirements in the locality of destination.

With the exception of shipments entirely within Alaska and Hawaii, shipments are permitted only via Express Mail and, with the exception of shipments from the United States to APO/FPO/DPO destinations, will be delivered using "hold for pickup" service at the destination Post Office.

Basically, with proof of your age and a photo ID, you are currently permitted to mail an occasional, lightweight shipment of cigarettes, loose tobacco, and smokeless tobacco to a person in another state who is above the age of majority in that state. You can send the package only by Express Mail with the "hold for pickup" service at the destination post office.

Hope this helps.

Juliana

Juliana, Lawyer
Experience: 23 years of experience, magistrate in small claims court for 12 years, currently in private practice