P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.

I bought a used car, it broke down after 5 days. The dealership

Customer Question

I bought a used car, it broke down after 5 days. The dealership did pay for repairs, it took over two weeks. I picked up my "fixed" car and 45 minutes later it broke down again. I towed it back to dealership. I no longer want the car, do I have to keep it?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

OH does not have a "used car lemon law" there is not a statute in OH that would allow you to force the dealership to take the car back. Had you purchased a new car, it may well have been you could have demanded they take the car back as a lemon.

That said, you do have recourse.

First, if the car is under warranty, you can demand they honor the warranty. That is, fix the car as the warranty requires. If they refuse you can sue them for breach of contract and have your deposit returned.

Second, if they misled you in the transaction...if they lied to you about the car? Then you can sue them to void the contract. But you would need to prove your would have to prove they lied to you about the car.

Let me know if you have more questions

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I want my $30 returned