Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the areas of consumer protection.

Hi, Ive just bought a used car from a so called reputable

I've just bought a used car from a so called reputable dealer in Dunedin, Florida. On the test drive it drove ok, no nasty noises, clean drive. I paid cash. The car comes with a 3 month engine/transmission warranty. On driving home I noticed a knocking noise from outside the passenger side. It turns out to be a very worn front suspension which will cost $750 to replace. When I took it back to the dealer the next day (and a couple of times later that week to complain), they were not interested. They offered to do the work at their cost rates which it turns out are not any different to another repair shop I approached. I complained that I had been sold a car which is not fit for purpose with a default which was known to them. It had been in their rental car fleet for 5 years so had been maintained by them. They just shrugged and said there was only so much work they would do before selling a car. Do I have any recourse in Florida law and how do I go about getting some help. We are from the UK and need a reliable car for the 4 months each year we are here. I am having the car fixed somewhere else as I don't want to give them any more money.
Rowland Middleton
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 5 years ago.
Do I have any recourse in Florida law and how do I go about getting some help.

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Unfortunately, Florida is a "Buyer Beware" state which means the dealer can sell a used car "as-is." If there is a warranty they are only bound to the terms of the warranty. They have no duty to disclose as the state believes the buyer must exercise due diligence to ascertain the vehicle they purchase is fit for their purposed. The only legal protection a buyer has is when the dealer refuses to comply with the terms of the existing warranty or specifically makes a misrepresentation regarding the particular part that has malfunction to induce the buyer to purchase. If this has occurred you would have the legal right to file suit for misrepresentation and breach of contract. Unfortunately the state has no free legal services on these types of consumer issues. The next best thing would be the local Better Business Bureau which only helps to negotiate a remedy if they find you have legitimate claims.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.