soloprac, Lawyer
Experience:  Five years of general litigation experience including civil matters.

Sears mastercard and citibank credit card division allows authorized

Sears mastercard and citibank credit card division allows "authorized users" of a credit card to change the billing address of the account without notification to the owner of the account. In my case this resulted in $6,800 plus in charges and an interest rate of 29.99% all without my knowledge.

Ten out of ten people would answer that an authorized user on a credit card account means someone may charge on the account. Not to be able to take it over. I tried to negotiate a settlement as sears-citi-mastercard have already earned over $12,000 with the balance of $6,800 unchanged as the have been charging 29.99 interest for 5 years. Do I have a recourse, please. Thank you.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  soloprac replied 5 years ago.

Who was the individual who was deemed an authorized user on the account? How did the credit card company reach the decision that this individual was an authorized user?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The authorized user was Julie Helmis, then and still my spouse. Its been a long time ago, but I evidently authorized her as a user.
Expert:  soloprac replied 5 years ago.

The first step I would take is to find the credit card agreement or request one from your company and see if the term authorized user is defined. If they will not provide you with one or you cannot find your look on the internet for the term as defined in terms of credit cards.

I would guess that you would be able to make an argument that an authorized user cannot "take over" the account and is simply able to charge if necessary. I would then argue that your spouse's actions did not fall within the scope of an authorized user's and you should not held responsible for them. In addition, I would argue as the primary user that any and all contact information changes should have been confirmed by you.