Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience:  Knowledgeable in the areas of consumer protection.
1723468

I opted for AAA Liner experts because the salesman touted a

I opted for AAA Liner experts because the salesman touted a lifetime money back guarantee. Soon after the install I my pool had a problem during when I had it opened for the season. I hired a local pool expert to diagnose the problem. In the end it turned out that the guys that installed the liner failed to cut a hole for a return line which left the pool sucking air down the side wall. Not a huge problem except that unfortunately since the pool maintenance guy (Larry) had to trace the problem he ended up digging up pipes. The pool had turned green by the time I called Larry and the natural presumption was that air was entering from a cracked pipe somewhere. In the end the failure to cut the secondary liner return caused a lot of expense. The liner company’s owner Paul initially balked when I contacted him.

I assumed it was the failure to cut the liner properly was an honest mistake that the company would want to immediately rectify. I even tried to make it easy for Paul by asking for a reasonable price on a pool cover instead of full cash reimbursement knowing full well that they wouldn’t have pay retail. Paul only relented after I threatened to sue. I only thought that was the end of my dealings with this company. My pool maintenance guy Larry has installed a valve so isolate the problem so the pool is functional. AAA Liners never even fulfilled their promise to cut the hole that the missed. It’s still not cut in properly 3 years later.

This year after only three years of use (was expecting more like 20) with this liner that cost me over $5,000.00 a tear appeared near the skimmer. Larry noticed it when closing the pool for the season. He showed me the tear which was allowing water to leak and was causing the wall to rust prematurely. He patched it to prevent further problems. Based on his experience it was clear that the liner had been installed incorrectly. He explained that it is common when an installer snaps the liner in at the top too soon when the water is added to the pool during the initial install. It causes pressure in the area of the skimmer as the weight of the liner pulls over time.

I emailed the pictures to Paul’s company, AAA liners and invited them to see for themselves. They have declined and stated that the liner itself is guaranteed only against tears. The install work is only guaranteed for a year. I thought I paid for a top of the notch liner so that I could get many years, perhaps 20, instead I paid top dollar for a liner which lasted three seasons and an install company that so far has refused to stand behind its product. They have offered to install another liner at the discounted cost to me of around $3500. Later on after threatening them with action they reduced it to $1500 fr the cost of the liner. That would leave me spending $1500 for the replacement liner and another approximately $1000 to have it installed. That would put the three year expenses at $8500 and that doesn’t include the repairs from the first problem.

I am not satisfied and will file a small claims suit. I also want others to beware. I want to put a blurb on every online review site I can which details my experience in a few short sentences. The company has threatened to sue me if I do. From my perspective I shouldn’t be at risk if I am stating the truth. Below is what I want to write. Please help me to ensure that I am not exposed to libel, slander or any other legal terms which could form the basis for a lawsuit against me.
“I do not recommend this company at all. I’ve had two major problems since the install and now must replace their so called high-end liner altogether after only three seasons. The first problem was because they failed to cut hole for a return line. Though I tried to make the best of the situation by making it a win-win, the owner still gave me a difficult time. Then upon closing the pool this year my pool maintenance man noticed tears in the liner where the liner had been cut for the pool skimmer. Though it was pretty clear this was due to the install and wore over time the owner refused to even come and see the liner. I paid top dollar for a liner that lasted me 3 seasons and they are not inclined to make good on the liner. After much hounding they offered me a new liner at around cost but were more than happy to see me spend virtually all the costs to replace the liner at little to no expense to them. I don’t know how the owner sleeps at night.”

sites I want to post to: XXXXX XXXXX kudzu, menuism, boorah, etc.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 3 years ago.

Based on what you wrote above, you are not subject to any type of law suit. Defamation of character which libel and slander are part depends on false statement of facts, intentionally made to the public to mislead the public. What you have are your personal opinions and experience. So long as what you say is the truth and so long as you state this is your personal experience, opinions and belief, I don't see how they can sue you for anything.

You are free to post anything so long as it is not a false fact (meaning these events truly happened and you have evidence to prove it happened the way you say). I would make sure you state in the beginning that the following statements are you opinions, beliefs and experiences with X company as a disclaimer.

Please click accept, and I can help with further questions if you have them.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: JustAnswer.com is a public forum. JustAnswer.com is not a law firm. JustAnswer.com is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm.

JustAnswer.com uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Experience: Knowledgeable in the areas of consumer protection.