Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I had a credit card account with Metris/Direct Merchants Credit

Customer Question

I had a credit card account with Metris/Direct Merchants Credit Card Bank. I opened it in 2002 and paid on it until 2004. It charged off in 2004 due to illness. It originally was reporting on my credit as Metris, then HSBC started to report the account, as well, in 2006. Both companies reported an $8000.00 charge-off/ collection balance. Both companies no longer report the account but then Midland Credit Management, started to report the account in 2008, as a collection with a $23,726.00 balance! I asked the bureaus to remove the account but they said Midland verified the account and would not remove it. All 3 bureaus show the account with Midland to remain on my reports until 2011, when it must be removed I guess by law. My question is, can I be sued over this prior balance or can they bring a judgement against me? what is the statue of limitations for such matters? Thank you so much for helping me. I am suppose to close on a new home this month and the mortgage underwriter is worried they can bring a judgement against me! I am freaking out and losing sleep. I might not get my home even though this is the only negative thing on my credit. I can't pay $23,000.00! Please help me!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 5 years ago.

My name is Francine, and I’m the Legal Category Moderator for JustAnswer. My job is to assist customers with pending questions for the Legal Experts here at JustAnswer.

I'm sorry you haven't received an answer yet.

The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but delays can result depending on the number of Experts online, the question volume, and the difficulty level of the question.

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I would still like someone to help me with my situation.