Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney versed in laws that protect consumers.

A hotel staff person entered my room when i was half dressed

A hotel staff person entered my room when i was half dressed despite me screaming "dont open the door". Cn i do something legally agianst the hotel?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If hotel personnel were instructed not to open the door but did any way, that may be actionable against the hotel. Your case would be stronger if they entered despite there being a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. However, keep in mind that a case may be cost prohibitive because ultimately a court will judge the merit of any such suit on your damages. To the extent that your only damage is embarrassment, that has no monetary value and as such in this type of suit may result in no recovery. Additionally, if the hotel employee explains that they did not hear or comprehend your yelling not open the door, it may be very difficult to prove that this was not the case, especially if there was no sign posted on the door indicating that they should not enter the room.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I had informed the hotel that I would need a late checkout but looks like they must have not upgraded their recors In any case, i woud have expected them to atleast knock before entering the guests room. When i spoke to the front desk, they informed me that the person who entered my room was not their staff but an outside pest control company. They accepted it was their fault especially since they had contracted a 3rd party. The general manager also left me a voice message apologizing for a "unfortunate" event. They also offered some points be added to my account. So, my question is - since they have already admitted that its their fault, can I do something?
Expert:  Law Girl replied 5 years ago.
To take legal action in a court of law, you will need measurable damages. I am not sure that you will be able to prove the damages necessary to sustain a lawsuit. However, it may be worth checking with a local attorney who can sit down with you and understand each nuance of your case.