Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
12106879

I purchased a 2005 VW Beetle in 2006 with 11000 miles on it.

I purchased a 2005 VW Beetle in 2006 with 11000 miles on it. From the time that I got the car I noticed a bump or jerking when the car was downshifting or accelerating. I brought it to VW several times with the same complaint. It was not documented each time that I brought it. I have 5 documented cases notes. They were never able to duplicate the problem so never fixed it but it continued to happen. Over the last several weeks the problem has gotten worse. Last week it died on me and I had to have it towed to the dealership. They were able to start it when they looked at it after the weekend but have told me that I need a new transmission ($5600.) When I went on line I found many of the same complaints. I expected to drive this car for at least 150,000 miles as I have all of the other VWs that I have driven. The car currently has about 80,000 miles on it. I still owe a years worth of payments and have been out of warranty for a year. Since the problem began when I got the car, I feel that VW owes me. When I spoke with them they offered 2,000 for repairs and 1,500 for a new car. I spoke with an independent VW mechanic who told me that if it does need a transmission it wouldnt cost even close to 5,000. Because I reported the problem before the car was out of warranty I believe that VW should be accountable. When I researched the problem on line I found very many other complaints exactly like mine. The mechanic I spoke with said He has another car in his garage with the exact same problem. Do I have a leg to stand on??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
What state are you in?
When did you first bring the problem to the attention of VW? How many miles were on the car with the first documented problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am in Nevada. I originally bought the car from Car Max. I told them about the problem within a few weeks of purchasing the car but they werent able to give me records of the first few times I brought it back to them. They brought it to VW for repairs so I dont think that they ever brought it up to them but it was first documented with VW in the first month or so that I had the car.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You need to contact a consumer law or lemon law attorney hear you ASAP. It sounds like you may have a lemon law case under Nevada law. The problem is that you generally only have 18 months from date of delivery to file the claim. You are well past that time. You may qualify for one of the exceptions, but they are narrow and would require a review of all of the service records. So go talk to an attorney and see if you can qualify.

Good luck.
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney