Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney

I had a contract with local improvement contractor to refurbish

I had a contract with local improvement contractor to refurbish our barn. Prior to signing the contract we said that the priority was to get the roof done due to damage from the winter storms. We were told that they had a job to finish and it woud be approximately two weeks. Signed on May 7th this year we have had about 1/6th of the roof done and have finally cancelled the contract as of Sept 10. What actions can be taken to resolve this issue. This was a 20k plus job and after offering to pay for work and materials used the invoice sent 11 thousand.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
Did you pay the contractor? If so, how much did you pay him?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes we paid 1/3 $7620.00 as a down payment the day the contract was signed which the contract stated was due when the work began. The next 7620.00 payment due midway and the balance upon completetion. The only work done was in June on fathers day weekend.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You are only obligated to pay the reasonable value of the work they have done. So, go call a licensed contractor and ask him what he would have charged to get that work done. Get it in writing. Then you send a demand to the other contract for the $7,620 less the actual cost.

Next, you have another contractor give you an estimate to finish the work. If it is over the $21,000 or so from the original contractor, you demand that they pay you that money as well.

If they do not pay you, you need to complain to your state's licensing board. Then you may want to consult an attorney about a lawsuit.

Good luck.