How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Complaint against BJs travel agents At under Documents

Customer Question

Complaint against BJ's travel agents

At under "Documents needed to take a cruise" (dated 09/15/2010) it says:
"U.S.Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship,
such as an original or copy of your birth certificate and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID."

At, under required documents, it says the same thing ! (this was my travel agent for the trip)

When I arrived at the pier ,I was told I didn't have the proper documents.

I am an older gentleman who has a original "Certificate of Birth" from a hospital with an Official raised seal.
I understand that some Hospitals do issue a birth notice as a document that merely indicates where a birth occurred
but they don't have a raised seal and some state on the notice that it is not a legal document.
My "certificate of birth" doesn't fall into that category.

I have used this certificate for 69 years for obtaining the following:
>driver license
>proof of citizenship for serving in the Army
>for boarding a cruise (same cruise ship two years ago)

I do not understand that a "birth certificate" or a "certificate of birth" aren't the same thing !?

I do not understand that the Official seal is not official !?

I do not understand that this birth certificate is not the original !?

Based on what I read, my experience and the fact that I boarded the same ship two years ago, I had no idea
that my Hospital "Certificate of Birth" was no longer proper documentation !!

The travel agent says the responsibility of having proper documentation at the pier is the travelers responsibility.
I understand that as meaning if I don't present them at the pier, it is my fault.

The travel agent also says it is my responsibility to know the requirement's but why is it not the travel agent
responsibility to word it properly in plain English where a lawyer is not needed to explain the meaning.

A travel agent is suppose to be a professional that protects your investment and informs you of changes in travel
requirements !? I was not informed that hospital birth certificates were no longer accepted.

This omission of information cost me $2900 which included travel insurance that won't cover my loss.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 5 years ago.
What is your specific legal question?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The travel agent at the company I work at said that travel agents are responsible for

making sure the traveler knows what documents are required for travel.

They are the professionals who should be up to date on travel requirements and should

communicate this so that it is clearly understood. The agent did not tell me that hospital birth certificates are no longer accepted for proof of citizenship and in their documentation there is no mention of that either. They should be held accountable for the loss of my money.


Expert:  Steinlaw replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

I agree that the travel agent is responsible. Send them a demand letter and ask them to reimburse you. Give them 30 days. If they do not respond, sue them in small claims. You should prevail on this.

Good luck.
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience: Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Steinlaw and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

They do have a disclaimer saying the the traveler ir responsible for knowing

what is required.

How can they not be resposible for the job they do?

Is it legal for someone to say they are not responsible for their job description?


Expert:  Steinlaw replied 5 years ago.
They can have disclaimers, but something like this should not be disclaimable. You should still prevail even with that disclaimer as they would have a duty to notify you what is acceptable documentation and what is not.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions