Law Girl
Law Girl, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney versed in laws that protect consumers.

Good Morning, Im not sure if this is the right area to pose

Customer Question

Good Morning, I'm not sure if this is the right area to pose this question, but I have a situation with my parking garage where I've kept my car for over twenty five years. This past April my sister passed from cancer and I was her care giver. I let a few months go pass because I was unable to pay the garage bill which is now over eleven hundered dollars. I received a call last week from the company indicating they were going to have the marshalls pick up my car. It's a 1978 Cadillac Baritz complete with 8 track, CB Radio, and sun roof, and has only 70,000 miles on it since it belonged to my husband who passed away in 1982. I wanted to keep it for emotional reason, however that's no longer possible. My question is do they have the right to keep the entire proceeds form the auction, or am I corrrect in requesting that the balance after expenses be returned to me. Is there a section in leasing law that covers this?

Thank you,
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Law Girl :

Are there any loans, liens or encumbrances on the vehicle?

Expert:  Law Girl replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

To the extent that there are no liens or encumbrances and the vehicle is legally sold at auction to cover the outstanding garage bill, any amount covered in excess of the garage bill (and the costs they incurred in auctioning the vehicle), should be given to you.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on this matter or require clarification. Otherwise please hit "ACCEPT" so I may receive credit for my efforts.

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me with beginning your question with "For LawGirl..."