Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney

A moving company and I are in dispute as to true cost of moving

A moving company and I are in dispute as to true cost of moving my belongings. They provided two written estimates and not honoring either one of them. Now they are asking 37% more than their initial estimate. They are also claiming that I am responsible for their employees breaks during the move. I am being charged overtime as a result of these excessive breaks. They are not only asking for more money but I am being penalized for late payment
What are my legal rights? I need some advice. I have all the documentation related to this move.

This is a fairly typical problem with moving companies.

Start with a complaint to your state consumer protection agency. You also should file a complaint with the attorney general. If those do not work, a letter from an attorney threatening to sue them. In fact, talk to a class action attorney. In many states, movers have been sued in class actions for these actions. You sound like you have a strong case.

Good luck.