Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

My debit card fraud claim was just denied (over $1200). There

My debit card fraud claim was just denied (over $1200). There are over 25 transactions that I did not authorize but my bank states that there is nothing they can do to help me, that "if" there's a culprit, I have to go after him myself. I'm a little overwhelmed at the prospect of that and I am wondering if anyone has any "next step" ideas to get this ball rolling.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's legal experts. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

First what you have to do is to file a claim with the police, so they can investigate the matter. This happens more often that you think. If the bank KNOWS that it's not you, you are not liable, however, they will attempt to force you to pay anyways. If push comes to shove, don't pay, and let them litigate - in court, the money would be dropped - no Court will find you liable to pay. However, do expect to have your credit suffer a little. I know there is little that can be done at the moment, I am sorry, but the matter doesn't provide a preemptive move on your part. Hopefully the police will find the culprit.I am sorry for not bringing good news. While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are ethically wronged but no legal avenue exists for them to seek relief. I am afraid this is one of these times.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the advice. It didn't even occur to me to go to the police-- I just always assumed the bank would take care of me. And unfortunately, it was fraud on my debit card, not my credit card, so now I'm out $1200, which is a little suffocating in this current financial climate. Hopefully the police will be able to help me.
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.
Best of luck to you.