Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney

I live in Richardson Texas. I mailed in the census report.

I live in Richardson Texas. I mailed in the census report. Then a few months later I found a notice on my front door that a census person had come by while I was gone. I thought to myself that maybe my census report didn't reach its destination. I therefore sent a copy of my filled out census form to the Jeffersonville, IN address that is on the census form. This time I also got a "proof of mailing" showing that I mailed the census report. This 2nd mailing was mailed on May 22nd, 2010. The next time the census person came by, I told them that I mailed a copy of my form, mailed it again but this time with a proof of mailing receipt. The person said I still had to answer their questions and didn't want a copy of my proof of mailing. I said that I did my legal duty, I have proof if it and that is all that I'm doing and said goodbye. These people are banging on my door at all hours day/evening and now trying to get into my backyard. What is my legal right from this harassing behavior?
Is the person still coming by?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes. They have come almost everyday since the proof of mailing date which is May 22nd. Then even came during the Memorial Holiday on Fri, Sat and Sunday. Now they are coming in pairs in different cars and meeting out in front, then coming to the house banging on my door. They have rung the door bell so much, it now won't make any sound. So now they bang on the door very aggresively. Today they tried to get into my back yard, but the gate was locked. I don't answer the door since they don't care about my "proof of mailing" and could care less about the fact that I filled out the census and mailed it in
twice. Unbelievable. This is scary to me.
I am sorry you are going through this.

Your best bet is to call the local police and report them for trespassing. You have told them that they are not welcome and they continue to come to your house. That is illegal and is trespassing. The local police should be able to resolve this for you.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am concerned that calling the police will only agravate these people further. Is there anything that I can say to them when they come to my door, that perhaps will deter
their activity and leave me alone?
You can simply tell them that they are not welcome, they are not allowed on your property and that you will call the police if they come on your property again.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Mr. Steinlaw,

I don't kow why my last question didn't make it to you because it isn't listed in my list of questions. It was question about federal law. Anyway it is mute now. I did end up calling the local police and filing out a report. After communicating with you, the next day I saw the two census workers through the window doing something to the rear right tire of the car in my driveway. I didn't know if the guy had a knife, chalk or what. I called the police, but the census peolpe were gone by the time the police arrived. But the policeman at least wtinessed the tire's condition when he arrived. The policeman suggested to me what to do from that moment on. I did exactly what he suggested and hopefully this incident is over as to today.

I thank you with all of my heart. Your wisdom gave me strength. I am so grateful for your help. Your're a good man and I wish you all the best in life. Thank you for being there for me.