How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been paying a debt collection company (law offices)

Resolved Question:

I have been paying a debt collection company (law offices) for the past 4 years never missing a month. In May I was served with a civil action regarding the account. When I contacted the law offices who filed this action, they informed me that the other company was out of business. After speaking with the company they forwarded to me an Agreement to accept payments on consent judgment and a consent judgment for me to sign along with payments to the attorney and court fees. In during some research, I thought I was protected under the FDCPA act as long as I was making payments. Do I have to sign these forms and what is my recourse? I have copies of my duplicate checks to show that I was sending payments to the other company and as of this date nothing has been returned. Can you assist me.

Thank you,
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Is this a debt collector or the original creditor who sued you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the original creditor
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

The FDCPA does not apply to the original creditor. Usually they will settle these cases with a stipulated judgment. However, you should consult with a local attorney to review the form before you sign it.

Good luck.
Steinlaw and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions