How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steinlaw Your Own Question
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Steinlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We purchased an existing home recently and found that multiple

Customer Question

We purchased an existing home recently and found that multiple of the windows had manufacturing defects. We contacted the builder and were told that the windows would be "warranted for moisture" for ten years from close of original escrow. We filed a claim and the builder replaced several of the windows. Since that time we now have two additional windows that are defective and when I contacted the warranty agent at the builders' I was told that they will no longer warranty the windows as the manufacturer went out of business several years ago. They are now telling me that they have no liability as they were only the builder and not the manufacturer of the windows.

I have an email from them stating that they would cover the windows for moisture for ten years.

What recourse do I have to get them to cover these defective windows???
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  HPLawyer replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any (rough) idea as to how much it would cost to have these windows replaced?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

There are currently two that need replacing and after calling around to local window manufacturers we have received estimates from $2000 to $3500.

Expert:  HPLawyer replied 6 years ago.
It's unfortunate that the builder is trying to avoid its obligations, but I see situations like this all too often. Based on the circumstances and the amount at dispute, I'm actually going to suggest that you speak with and retain the assistance of a local civil litigation attorney.

The good news is that, generally speaking, unless a builder explicitly disclaims such a warranty or makes such warranty conditional upon replacement by a manufacturer, then the builder will usually be liable for such a replacement. Now, California does have some weird laws, which is another good reason to have an attorney perform a due diligent analysis of your case to make sure that this is actually the case in your situation as well.

From my experience, many builders will try to avoid any incurring costs when a customer makes a request/demand, warranty related or otherwise. Many businesses are like this, but this trend seems particularly prevalent when dealing with builders and contractors. Now, it's possible that all your attorney would need to do would be to write a simple demand letter. As such a letter generally indicates a lawsuit is a real possibility, many builders will simply acquiesce to the demands made. Most attorneys would charge around $200-250 for such a demand letter, would could make it a good choice in terms of a cost-benefit analysis.

Nonetheless, if litigation is actually necessary, then the attorney would be in a good position to move forward with assisting you, and would likely seek to recovery his or her attorneys' fees from the builder as well.

Also, your local bar association will be an excellent resource in finding a civil litigation attorney.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

DISCLAIMER: Although I am an attorney, I am not your attorney under any circumstances, period. I require a written engagement letter to serve as someone's attorney. Please keep in mind that everything you say in this exchange is readily accessible to the public (whether it is law enforcement, your nosy next door neighbor, or your mother-in-law, they can read what you write). Do not say anything that you do not want publicly known. If you want legal advice or an attorney-client relationship, and all the benefits that come with the attorney-client privilege, you should seek and retain local qualified counsel. You should also keep in mind that any information I give you is based on the limited facts you provide me, and any additional facts could substantially or completely alter any information I give you. Just for the record, unless you live in Georgia, I am not licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction. In fact, my knowledge of laws is limited to Georgia. I am not an "expert"-- just a lawyer. Any information I provide you is for general information and educational purposes and shall not constitute legal advice. Consider it a good first step in your knowledge acquisition.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
As I am not the original home buyer when the home was new I do not know what items were included in the new homeowner contract.
I do however have an email response from the "warranty" department stating that the windows were warranted for a 10 year period, which we are still within.
They even replaced several windows less than 6 months ago. Now they have changed their tune and state that they did that as a "good faith" gesture and are no longer honoring the warranty.
Do they as the builder have any legal responsibilities if one of their contractors/vendors goes out of business and can no longer provide warranty replacement. This is my question....I need to know if they are legally responsible for the contractors they used and carrying out any warranties that were offered.

Expert:  HPLawyer replied 6 years ago.
I am going to opt-out so that an attorney from California can provide you with better assistance.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 6 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

The builder is responsible for the windows. I would simply get a written estimate to fix this and then sue the builder in small claims court. This is fairly simple and the prior expert was right - it is quite common. But a small claims court lawsuit should resolve it for you.

Good luck.!
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 1811
Experience: Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, top foreclosure attorney
Steinlaw and 6 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions