Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
12106879

On April 18, I signed a contract with Golds Gym for a years

Customer Question

On April 18, I signed a contract with Gold's Gym for a year's membership. On April 20, I returned to the gym and asked to be let out of the contract. They said fine and they would forward to headquarters. Since then I have called them several times to find out the status, and they say it isn't approved yet. The last time I called, I asked to contact the "authority" in person and asked for contact information. They said all they have is an email address and they can't give me that information. Now, the person I am working with, Maria, won't take my calls and won't call me back. What can I do now?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

You should write Gold's Gym yourself. Address the letter to the president of the company. Explain the situation, what you were told by the local representative. Here is where you can find their address

http://www.hoovers.com/company/Golds_Gym_International_Inc/jfhski-1.html?serv=SEMGGLCHQ13989395-414142115-3254196275-2200258295-1&wf=70130000000KoKNAA0&ch=70130000000KhjR&num=8665413931&gclid=CND7ma25_6ECFYM65QodxU8zFQ

All comments are provided for informational purposes only. A local attorney should be contacted for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not much of a response. I had that figured out already, but what is the law about this? And I already found a national headquarters address. Who do I address. Very disapponted with the answer.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

You indicated you wanted to contact someone in authority. You contact the president of Gold's Gym.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I guess this is what I get for $15. Stupid me for thinking there would be a little more depth! You don't need to answer this. I will contact Nevada's AG office and tell them I don't appreciate a link to something that is of absolutely no help.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

Nothing has been paid until you press accept. Unfortunately I have no way of knowing what you know and what you don't know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I withdraw the question.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
What state are you in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nevada.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

First, you should file a complaint with the BBB. Second, you should file a complaint with the Nevada Attorney General. Then, you should file a small claims court case for your money against Gold's. This should be fairly straightforward and you should prevail.

Good luck.
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've already done this except for small claims court. That is just more money out of my pocket. I'll accept at this point. Interesting to know that I already knew everything to do and was proceeding with that.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Good luck. Please let me know how small claims works out.