Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney

In March 13, 2008, I sent an insured package to Canada client,

Complaint about the US Post Servise

Example 1
In March 13, 2008, when I sent a kit of photographic equipment to Canada, I bought USPS international priority mail insurance. One month later, my client had not received the package. When I accessed the United States Post Offices website to check my package tracking confirmation, it showed that this package had entered Canadian Customs.I had no choice but to request that my client ask why this parcel was held in Canada Customs. The Canada Customs answered that the parcels have been released and forward to the Canadian Post on March 18, apparently the package was lost in Canada. I had to re-send a package of photographic equipment to compensate my client.

When I asked the USPS for compensation, they replied that the tracking confirmation was displayed: "This package held in Canada Customs", so the USPS rejected my case. When I appealed this with the USPS on the April 3, 2009, the USPS Tracking Confirmation has changed to ”your item was delivered in CANADA at 6:21 pm on July 4, 2007”.I pointed out that the parcel mailing date is March 13, 2008, and they replied: "This is a duplicate number, since your package was sent in March 2008, this number is XXXXX your parcel". Then USPS suggested that I contact the Canada Customs or the Canadian Post Office, if I could obtain proof that my package was not held in Canada, the USPS will re-open the case.

July 2009, I called Canada Customs. They told me that if they had detained the package, they would have sent a K24 Form to the sender. Since I never received such a form, this shows that the Canada Customs did not hold my package. Then I wrote to the USPS, they replied that they would ask the Canadian Post Office about the K24 Form. I waited for six months and sent a letter to ask my case, the post office still had not replied to me. Nine months later, until April 8th last month the United States Postal Service on purpose delayed my case over two years, I received a letter from the international Claim Appeals of USPS said : "your article was held in foreign customs on March 15, 2008. Regrettably, the United States Postal Service could not intercede with another Customs authority and attempt to persuade the customs authority to release the item ..." They decided not to grant compensation, and informed me that they end of this case.

Example 2
Last year, on September 2009, I sent a parcel to Denmark. A month later my customers had not receive it. When I looked for tracking information , I did not see any information. I reported the parcel missing to the USPS, and on October 23rd I sent a replacement package to my client, which was received on November 5th. But the USPS tracking confirmation displayed: “into Foreign Customs, November 03, 2009, 1:49 pm, DENMARK ..” This tracking information has remained unchanged for six months. This shows that the USPS did not follow up, (By the way the USPS did not compensate for this lost package until now).

This is enough to illustrate that my package appearing in the Canada Customs hold was a confusion caused by the USPS operations.

Example 3
Last year, I had several packages damaged during international delivery. I asked for compensation at the local post office. The post office said it was an international parcel, asked me to call to the international sector, but more than six months later, I have still not received any response and compensation

In order to ask the United States Post Office for compensation, I spent two years of effort. If USPS deals with problems this way, why don't consumers condemn them?
Can I asked for legal assistance to the United States Postal Service to punitive damages, if possible.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
What is your specific legal question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I accept, but I can't find "ACCEPT" button, where is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I sue the U.S. Postal?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You can sue the US Postal Service. You are required to file a claim before you sue them. You can file a claim here: http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/welcome.htm or you can file a claim with this form: http://www.gsa.gov/Portal/gsa/ep/formslibrary.do?viewType=DETAIL&formId=635588D718E338F385256B1B007FBE64

(You can find form SF-95 at other websites as well.)

Good luck.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
You should be able to find the ACCEPT button now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already filled out the USPS claim form two years ago you mentioned, so I get reply from USPS International claim appeals, but they on purposed delayed over two years to refused my claim. This is my main points of complaint, you sure of that?

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
When did you receive the denial of your claim?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I received the denial of my claim on April 8th, a month ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I look forward to your legal aid, if this is possible, for my claim I have wasted two years of effort!!
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
You have six months from the time they rejected your claim to file a lawsuit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Clearly, the US post office relied on their own but it is wrong "tracking confirm" to rejected my claim.
I look forward to help, required punitive damages to the Post Office. If possible.

Please tell me how to charge? Otherwise, I do not want to waste time.

Expert:  Steinlaw replied 4 years ago.
You cannot recover punitive damages from the post office.
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience: Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney