Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
12106879

iS IT THE LAW A USED CAR DEALER MUST INSPECT A VEHICLE BEFORE

iS IT THE LAW A USED CAR DEALER MUST INSPECT A VEHICLE BEFORE HE SELLS THAT VEHICLE REGUARDLESS OF IF IT IS TO BE REGISTERED RIGHT AWAY OR NOT REGISTERED RIGHT AWAY
I am sorry you are going through this.

There is no requirement that the dealer inspect the car before selling it. In NY, it is "buyer beware" and the law expects you to inspect the vehicle. However, if you can prove that the dealer did inspect the vehicle and did not disclose it to you, then you can cancel it for fraud. You could also sue the dealer for damages, ie the cost of repair, due to this as well.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The expert does understand that as a dealer (used car) I thought it was law that the vehicle must pass a state inspection (NY State authorized inspection station) before it can be sold to prove that it has met and passed all State safety requirements for that vehicle to be operated on a public thoughfare/street. I'm just trying to clarify that it is an official state inspection that the vehicle must pass to be sold. Yes or No Please clarify Thankyou
Yes, the dealer is required to have the vehicle pass a state inspection. But that is the only inspection is required.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So the dealer should not of sold the vehicle to me until the official state inspection was completed, therefore am I entitled to get my money back
Yes. He should not have sold you the vehicle until AFTER the inspection.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Jonathan your the best . So can you tell me that I'm entitled to get my money back from him because he did not follow the law (procedures for selling a used vehicle)
You have to prove that he did not follow the law and that you were damaged as a result. In other words, if the inspection would not have caught the engine issue or if the engine issue developed later, you cannot recover your money. So get a letter from the mechanic about the damage to the engine and that it would have been discovered with an inspection and you will be fine.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou for all of your assistance in this matter. This is a great service for the public to access.