Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Consumer law attorney, author of California Debt Blog, Businessweek.com top foreclosure attorney
12106879

MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO GET A NEW CAR. IN ORDER TO GET

MY HUSBAND AND I DECIDED TO GET A NEW CAR. IN ORDER TO GET THE ONE WE WANTED, THE CAR HAD TO BE TRANSPORTED FROM ANOTHER STATE. WE FILLED OUT AND SIGNED THE CONTRACT AND WAS GOING THE NEXT DAY TO GIVE OUR DOWN PAYMENT. THE NEXT DAY I CALLED AND THE CAR HAD BEEN SOLD IN THE OTHER STATE. WHAT IS OUR LEGAL GROUNDS. WHY DIDN'T THEY PUT A HOLD ON THE CAR. I REALLY WANTED THAT CAR. WHAT CAN WE DO OR ARE WE JUST SCREWED? ROBIN MASSEY
Did the contract specify a certain car by VIN?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, i do have a vin number. i had also called my insurance company and had them email me a insurance card.
I am sorry you are going through this.

You have a pretty straightforward breach of contract claim. They agreed to sell you a specific car. They now cannot do that. You have been damaged. Your remedy is either to find a very similar car and sue them for the difference or have them get you the exact same car for the same price, even if they lose money on it.

I would send the GM a strongly worded letter explaining what happened and what you expect to do about it. If that does not work, a letter from an attorney should resolve this immediately.

Good luck!