Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Any way to get out of an auto-renewal ATT office contract

Any way to get out of an "auto-renewal" ATT office contract? While I was in the hospital undergoing another heart operation in March, I received the only form of communication--a small post card-- stating that our ATT small business lines would be auto renewed for 3 more years. Seems a major company like ATT could afford to spend a bit more on PR to communicate a 3 year contract. I had hoped to port the only remaining office line to an iPhone that would make ATT more money than 1 office line; but they will not allow it unless our contract expires ---in 3 more years!
Unfortunately, under the law that small notice in advance of the cancellation period is all that is required under the law. However, you would have to try to argue that they should grant a waiver of that based upon the fact that you were medically incapable of responding to that notice and provide medical documentation regarding your incapacity. The problem you have is that if you did not try to cancel as soon as you were medically able to do so, the longer the delay the more difficult it would be to argue your position. BUT, the problem is that unless they agree to do this, legally they can bind you to the contract.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

I saw your comment in your feedback. What you need to do is put together documentation of your medical incapacity preventing you from cancelling. Then contact them and try negotiating this by phone and send them a letter also requesting cancellation outside of the notice period based upon your documentation that you were medically unable to give the notice in time. Then see where it goes from there and negotiate with them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I send you a bonus?
Thank you. You have done so.