CA Lawyer
CA Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law for over 10 years in Colorado and California

Can I sue a repair shop for holding my car for over 2 1/2 months.

Can I sue a repair shop for holding my car for over 2 1/2 months. i went to a transmission shop to fix my transmission, and they have not fixed it in 2 1/2 months, I have not had my car since and all the while the bill is stacking up. it takes less time to build a car than that

Hi. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

The first thing you need to do is to get your car out of there as the mechanic will likely try to hold on to it until you pay your bill. You should show up with a tow truck and just take the car.

While a verbal contract is enforceable in some cases, it will be the mechanic's burden to show what the terms were and that what he did was authorized by you. Most likely this will end up in snall claims court if the mechanic decides to sue.

Unfortunately, you may not be able to to recover much for your loss of use unless there was a writing stating the vehicle would be repaired by a certain. However, if you were orally promised completion by a certian date you could try to sue for your loss of use in small claims court, but I am nit sure it is worht the hassle. If the mechanic sues you however for the amount he claims is owed then you should definitely raise the loss of use as a counterclaim.

Please click ACCEPT. If you have follow-up questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Helpful resources for finding local legal counsel and legal information are and

DISCLAIMER - This answer is not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed. The information provided is for educational and entertainment purposes only. For specific advice regarding your situation, please consult a qualified attorney in your area. Please remember that we can only answer your question based on the information you provide. By using Just Answer, or by your clicking "Accept", you expressly agree to the foregoing and all of the following: (1) any communication between us is for entertainment purposes only; (2) there is no attorney-client relationship and you understand you are not consulting with me in any attorney-client manner; (3) neither of us are in an attorney-client relationship and will never claim to the contrary; (4) I may or may not be licensed to practice law in the state where you reside or where your legal problem arises and you understand it is your responsibility to obtain appropriate legal counsel with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where you reside or where your legal issue arises (5) Pursuant to IRS Circular 230, please be advised that, to the extent this communication contains any tax advice, it is not intended to be, was not written to be and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding penalties under U.S. federal tax law - you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (6) by participating in a public forum, you understand and agree that you may be waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and/or attorney-client privilege with respect to the matters discussed in the forum or with me. You understand and agree that any payment made by you is not consideration for any contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but is a gift for my assistance to you. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then please let me know immediately.

Please CLICK on the following link for IMPORTANT legal information, before continuing with our conversation: