TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

whats the maximum interest rate allowed my NC law

Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “What id the maximum credit card interest rate allowed by NC law”

Answer: As shocking as it may sound, there is no limit. Credit card companies are specifically excluded from usury laws, and even if they weren’t, such laws would not be enforceable against the credit card companies because of a Supreme Court case from 1978 where the Court ruled that a national bank may charge interest on any loan at the rate allowed by the laws of the State where the bank is chartered. As you can imagine, banks are purposely chartered in States where there is no limit. To that extent, it doesn’t matter what NC law states.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. Accordingly, by continuing in this discussion and/or by “accepting” my answer you acknowledge that (1) we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, (2) my answer is general information only and is not legal advice, and (3) you should not rely on my answer in undertaking any course of action without first consulting with an attorney in person who can review all relevant facts.