soloprac
soloprac, Lawyer
Experience:  Five years of general litigation experience including civil matters.
9504130

What happens after a summary judgement

What happens after a summary judgement?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Should the creditor's attorney receive a summary judgment that means that the judge has decided that there are no material issues of fact. Generally in debt settlement cases unless the debtor has a valid defense this is not difficult to obtain. After the summary judgment is granted the judgment is then a valid, enforceable judgment.

You may always file an appeal if you disagree with the judge's decision.

Sincerely,

soloprac

Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.

DearCustomer

Sincerely,

soloprac

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The documents says there are no issues which is why they are seeking a judgement

Quite frankly I don't have a valid defense other than outside circumstances (medical bills) prevented me from being able to meet the monthly payments.

I'm concerned about a judgement being enforced to where my wages are garnished.

Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.
I understand. Have you tried negotiating the debt with the creditor's attorney? That can be done up until the judgment is entered and sometimes they will even do that afterwards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Like I said I'm working with a Debt Settlement company and their negotiators have been working on my behalf. I'm just nervous b/c I don't really have any cash to offer them at this point in time.

I do appreciate you responsiveness

Expert:  soloprac replied 7 years ago.

Sorry - I forgot that you said you were working with a company. They can bargain to put off the first payment date so that is something you might be able to do.