Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I want to file a law suit against the USPS for violating a

I want to file a law suit against the USPS for violating a Federal and Postal Regulation. I believe in failing to delivery my mail to my residence within a new subdivision, they are discriminating aginst me and my Native Hawaiian neighbors.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Why do you believe they are discriminating against you because of your race? Do you believe that if anglos lived in your neighborhood they would deliver to them?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live in a "Hawaiian Homestead" Community that is strictly for Hawaiians with a blood quantum of 50% or better. I understand that under an agreement with HUD, the Postal Service receives a subsidy to deliver mail to our sister community across the Parkway from our subdivision, but not ours. The seemed to have 'forgotten' that we exist, and have had a very Cavalier attitude about dealing with me on this issue. Aside from the agencies I have already contacted, I also had the local print media to an article on our plight.

Their most ridiculous quote in the article was "they fear for the safety of their carriers." They refuse to elaborate on that statement when pressed for details. They also cite delivery costs (see HUD above). They also cite narrow streets, but we have maxi-sized modern trash trucks that work our street. I offered a previous experience with USPS in my previous home in a Sacramento home (which I still own) as an example of how to cut delivery cost. It was very simple. Our former carrier started using one of those Sedgway scooters!

I can email photos of our beautiful community if you prefer, and a map of how far I have to drive every day to check and retrieve my mail.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 5 years ago.
Pictures aren't necessary, although I do love Hawaii. I wasn't aware of Hawaiian Homestead communities, they sound like an excellent idea.

My first suggestion was to call your US senator or representative but I see you've already tried that so it may be time to look at a lawsuit and I think I would look at the civil rights angles. It certainly sounds like they are making a blanket assumption about your neighborhood based on the ethnic makeup. You will need to find a lawyer who does civil rights law. You may also want to look for one involved in native rights issues, I have heard there are several in Honolulu. i would be willing to bet that there are a number of issues regarding Hawaii becoming a state and being guaranteed federal services.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. Please remember that we can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information and no attorney client relationship has been formed. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR TEXAS ATTY” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience: Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.