Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Can I copyright a saying, to print on a t-shirt or any shirt

Can I copyright a saying, to print on a t-shirt or any shirt" The Pittsburg Steelers Stink ... The Odor of 6 times SuperBowl Champs"
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
Yes, since it is an editorial comment you can do this, but you cannot use their logo, which is trademarked, without permission.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So basically I can copyright the phrase. So, it can't be copied.
I didn't say you could copyright it because the pharse is not going to be held to be original and anyone can say "Steelers stink" and it would not likely be found to be an original work capable of a copyright, but you can use the phrase without being sued for copyright or trademark infringement.