How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jane T (LLC) Your Own Question

Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience:  Work and studies in privacy, lending, credit, and general consumer issues
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Jane T (LLC) is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I signed a membership contract with a comapny called Team National

Resolved Question:

I signed a membership contract with a comapny called Team National for 2200.00 in Oct 08. The next morning I disputed the charge and called the company to inform them I do not want the membership. The sent hte package and to my surprise, I had a 3 day right of recession!! Had the rep given me a copy of what I signed, I would not be fighting this 3 months later. Question, can funds transpire within that 3 "right of recession" day period, b/c he put the charge on my card the next morning? Question, what laws are broken when copies of what someone signed are not delivered. Question, how do you fight a failure to disclose? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 6 years ago.

Dear houselaydms,


What state are you in?


Did you buy this from your home?


What was the membership for?


What company did you call to say you did not want the membership?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.



For savings at stores, resturants furniture. Company is called Team National.

I left a message with rep and customer service. No response

Disputed it with Discover the next am after calling. Discover stated they would take care of it. They kept it off my card for 2 months. I thought it was over. Until the past week

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The company was experiencing "high call volume" and I left a message that was never returned. The rep was at Convention and never returned my call.

I do know in real estate that funds can not transpire during the 3 day right of recession.

I do know that a copy was suppose to be given to us upon signing. I can prove with my discover card that this was disputed the next day, although I didn't even know the 3 day right of recession form was on the back of what I signed until the package came for me to sell to others. Then I saw what I was suppose to send in to the company to enforce my 3 day right! However, with no copy of whit I signed, how could I know? I tried it anyway, without knowing!

Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 6 years ago.

Dear houselaydms,


Purchases made at home normally do allow consumers an automatic right to cancel the purchase within three days (see here from the Mississippi Attorney General's website). To cancel such purchases consumers must contact the seller (not their credit card companies) within those three days. To assure that right to cancel is properly exercises normally requries consumers to follow the instruction on their purchase contracts, where the right should be explained (and which usually requires a consumer to write a letter to a specific address). However, sellers of door-to-door services or goods normally do need to provide buyers a copy of or information about their right to cancel and, if they do not, they may be violating state laws.


You can contact your state's Attorney General (here, at the bottom of the page are phone numbers) to discuss this fact to see if the failure to provide you with a copy of your rights, under your state's laws, means the seller failed to obey the law and provides you a way out of your purchase, as may the fact that you did contact them to cancel (although the rules are cancellation must be done in a specific form, a company may be unable to enforce those rules if they failed to communicate them properly). You may need to file a complaint with the Attorney General's office. You may also need to contact your credit card company again to inform them about this matter and see if you can further dispute or appeal the charge. Again, to properly dispute charges consumers must follow the instructions of the credit card companies specifically.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, he broke the state law. He did not give us copies that would inform us and tell us how proceed with 3 day right of recession. Now what? Do we need to hire an attorney? Do we file charges locally. How do we proceed when someone has broken this state law. Thanks
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 6 years ago.



As my first answer indicted, these laws are enforced by state's Attorney General's. As I also indicted, consumers can contact their state's Attorney General, who normally have a consumer complaint office (such as the one I provided you an electronic link to (here it is again) so that consumers who have been improperly treated by businesses who have failed to properly follow state laws can obtain assistance, free of charge. This is a good place to start as, unlike a BBB it has the legal authority to prosecute for crimes and businesses normally do respond to this state agency (whereas a BBB office is not a government agency).


If such contact with the Attorney General's office does not succeed, or fails to assist, in obtaining an agreement from the business to cancel any agreements and refund money a consumer may also proceed to file a court case to have the court declare a contract unenforceable, obtan a refund, and also help prevent future harm to a consumer's credit report. Such a case may be filed by a consumer on their own through the courts (many courts today have "self help" centers that help consumers understand how to file cases and what is involved) or by an attorney a consumer hires.

Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 8435
Experience: Work and studies in privacy, lending, credit, and general consumer issues
Jane T (LLC) and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions